Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Buffy favorites part two: Seasons 4 and 5


Once again I will try not to have too many spoilers but just in case: BE AWARE YOU MAY SEE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!



Season 4


Hush


The gang has graduated and now they are making their way through the college years. This was an almost completely silent episode! It was also the first episode of Buffy I had ever seen. The music is great! Highlights for me were Willow goes to her first Wicca meeting, Giles tries to debrief the gang through sketching, and the gentlemen! BMS!!!

Riley:" Well. I guess we have to talk."
Buffy: "I guess we do."
(The two sit in awkward, dead silence.)

The I in Team


This isn't on a lot of favorites lists but I loved it. Buffy meets the initiative! The speech she gives at the end is very powerful. We also get to meet the Big Bad of season four in this episode.

Buffy: "If you think that's enough to kill me, you really don't know what a Slayer is. Trust me when I say you're gonna find out."

This Year's Girl/Who Are You?


Faith returns! The mayor leaves her a contingency plan and she goes about reconnecting with people. Unfortunately her connection with Buffy is a little too close for comfort. I love this mini-arc!

Willow: "She's like this cleavagey slutbomb walking around going 'Ooh. Check me out, I'm wicked cool. I'm five by five.'"
Tara: "Five by five? Five what by five what?"
Willow: "See, that's the thing. No one knows."

Restless


I think I can safely say this is the strangest episode of Buffy ever made. It is all in a dream reality. You get great hints about what is to come in season 5. Highlights for me are the first slayer, the cheese guy, and the joke Anya is obsessed with hearing.

Cheese Guy (to Giles, while wearing two slice of cheese on his head): I wear the cheese, it does not wear me.

Season 5

Real Me


Season 5 began and everyone was shocked to find a new addition to the cast! Who was this person and why were they there??? I wish I could tell you this episode gives you all the answers--but it doesn't. It does give you a nice look at how the person fits in the scheme of things though. Highlight for me was hands down Harmony!!! I love that bitch!

Xander: 'Fraid you and your buddies are gonna have to come back and be killed by Buffy later.
Harmony: They're not my buddies. They're my minions.

Xander: They're what now?
Harmony: Minions! You know, lackeys?


Fool For Love


Buffy goes to Spike to find out how exactly he managed to kill two previous Slayers. We get to see who Spike was before he was Spike. I love this episode! I also love that we get to see two previous slayers in action!


Spike: "Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you."

Checkpoint

Buffy tries to jump through hoops to get into The Council's good graces. I like this one because she finds out exactly what she will stand for and what she won't. Her ultimatum is definitely one of the highlights. I also loved the interviews with her friends!

Buffy: " I've had a lot of people lining up to tell me how unimportant I am and I've finally figured out why. Power. I have it. They don't. "

The Body


This is probably the best written episode ever in my opinion. Something happens that is completely out of the blue and Buffy's world changes forever. Notice there isn't a soundtrack to this episode.

Joyce: "I think we're just about ready for pie."


The Gift

This was the 100th episode and Buffy was cancelled by the WB. This could have been the last episode of the series. Some people would argue that it should have been. I love this episode...it has everything I love about the series in it. The "previously on" section at the beginning was a montage of clips from what seemed to be every episode leading up to it.
note: it isn't on the season five dvd set but is hidden on the season seven set--if you'd like to see it you can find out how to access it HERE

Buffy: "The spirit guide told me that death is my gift. I guess that means a Slayer really is just a killer after all."

No comments: