Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Buffy the Vampire Slayer


So anyone that knows me knows I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. I LOVED that show. I sat down recently and thought, "If I wanted to hook someone on Buffy (which I have on many occasions) what episodes would I suggest they watch?" It was a tough question. I sat down today to make a list of my favorite episodes in each season. I've narrowed it down to the top twenty five! Keep in mind that some of these are two part episodes. If I felt like I liked one half better I just listed it...in most cases I chose to list them together as a unit.

I urge you (if you haven't already) to go out and rent these seasons. They are well written and acted. You will start to crave them like a damned crack addict!

I'm going to try not to have spoilers! Just in case: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS HERE!

Today I'm going to discuss my favorites from Season 1 through Season 3:

Season 1

Welcome to the Hellmouth

This is the first episode of the series and you get introductions to all the characters that you will grow to love. Bless SMG's ( Sarah Michelle Geller for future reference) little heart! She is working that tired late nineties look for all it's worth...you have to see those boots she's in! The production value isn't great but you have so much fun watching that it doesn't matter. Definitely a BMS (Buffy Must See).

Buffy: "It's my first day! I was afraid that I was gonna be behind in all of my classes, that I wouldn't make any friends, that I would have last month's hair! I didn't think there'd be vampires on campus. And I don't care."


Prophecy Girl


There has been a prophecy that the Slayer will die...it's all very dramatic. This is my favorite episode of the first season. I get the impression that Joss Whedon thought the show might be cancelled so he really wrapped everything up in a nice little package. SMG has a great monologue about being "only 16" and not wanting to die. Like I said "very dramatic". I also have to give a shout out to the production team for having Buffy kick ass in a party dress and a leather coat...it is a very iconic look!

Buffy: Sure! We saved the world. I say we party!

season 2

Innocence

This is a truly awesome episode! Buffy has lost her virginity and things aren't as rosey as they should be. I swear Angel is so much hotter in this episode than he usually is. This is one of the few episodes that I truly have no problem with. I don't even mind the MEGAphors (and believe me they are HUGE)! BMS y'all!

Joyce: "So what'd you do for your birthday? Did you have fun?"
Buffy: "I got older.

Becoming (part 2)

This episode has ramifications well into the seventh (and final) season. One of the all time best episodes of the series (in my opinion). Buffy has to make a decision that no person should ever have to make. The smack down toward the end is the bomb! The scene between Spike and Buffy's mom is a definite BMS.

Buffy: I have had a really bad day, okay? If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat.


season 3

Dopplegangland

I think the best way to sum up why I like this episode so much would be with a quote:

Willow: It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and... skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay.



earshot


Buffy and the gang race against the clock to stop a potential school massacre. This episode was pulled by the network because it was around the time Columbine happened. It is powerful and the speech she gives at the end is just perfect.

Cordelia: Hi Mr. Beach. I was just wondering, were you planning on killing a bunch of people tomorrow. Oh, it's for the yearbook.



the prom

It's senior prom and everything that could go wrong does! Buffy decides that she will make sure her best friends will have the night of their lives...even if she has to die trying! This episode is very sentimental and I get teary eyed every time I see it.

Buffy: I'm gonna give you all a nice, fun, normal evening if I have to kill every person on the face of the Earth to do it.
Xander: Yay?



graduation day (parts 1 & 2)


Graduation is finally here! Of course, the end of the world is too and the only thing standing in the way is Buffy and her biggest army to date! Highlights for these episodes are the slayer smackdown, the creepy Mayor, and the first of several "dreams" that give us hints about seasons to come!

Oz: "Guys. Take a moment to deal with all this. We survived."
Buffy: "It was a hell of a battle."
Oz: "Not the battle. High school."

No comments: